A cat drinking milk? Some people might say it’s impossible. But is it really?
Since this article is meant to be education, not just copied verbatim from other sources, I have added that if you copy information here or use it as your own without giving credit to the source, you are plagiarizing. Please do not do this . Thanks!
To answer the question – no, cats should not drink cow’s milk. Many people think that because a cat nurses her young with milk, she can also drink cow’s milk herself. This is wrong because of the major differences between the two kinds of animals, which are both mammals. The main one being size- cows are much bigger than cats so their stomachs are much larger. Cows can drink milk because they have four stomachs that transform the milk into a different form that cats’ bodies can handle, but cats simply do not have that ability.
Why should you NOT feed your cat cow’s milk ?
* The lactose sugar in the milk is too rich for a cat’s digestive system to handle. * When a cat drinks cow’s milk she does not get enough nutrients from it and it makes her sick because of this. * Many people think that if a cat drinks cow’s milk, she will become lactose intolerant just as humans often do as they become older. This actually doesn’t happen- when you give a kitten cow’s milk, there is an enzyme in the stomach that stops this from happening. * A cat who drinks cow’s milk may end up with diarrhea, vomiting, loss of coordination and bloating.
Cats do get enough nutrients from cow’s milk if it is slightly diluted with water- but still shouldn’t be consumed regularly because it isn’t good for them either way .
What are some better alternatives to give your cat if she is deprived of milk?
* Get a good quality wet food product which you can easily find at any pet store or supermarket. Most brands have reduced lactose which makes the food much healthier for cats to eat. * Cat’s love meat so another option can be canned tuna packed in water or chicken broth . * You could also substitute her milk with a combination of tuna water and chicken broth .
What do you need to know about kittens if they nurse from their mom?
* When a kitten nurses from her mother, the kitten receives important antibodies through the milk which protect her against disease. * Young cats drink their mother’s milk until they are weaned off at around 5-7 weeks. This is when it becomes possible for them to eat solid food and get all necessary nutrients and vitamins.
An extremely big thank you goes out to CatInfo.Org for the provided information! This website has great, helpful information so please check it out! * https://www.catinfo.org/
1. What is cow milk?
Cow milk is a white liquid produced by the mammary glands of mammals. It is the primary source of nutrition for young mammals before they are able to digest other types of food. In many species, it is consumed after birth by babies as their first form of nutrition. Cow milk is rich in fats, carbohydrates and various minerals. The majority of cows especially those raised for commercial use are female.
Cow milk is the principal source of nutrition for young mammals before they are able to digest other types of food. After birth, its nutrients help baby mammals grow and develop. It is rich in fats, carbohydrates and various minerals that can benefit the human body in some ways. Cow milk also contains protein, calcium and phosphorus which can help in building body muscles. It also contains vitamins like A, B12, B6 and Vitamin K that are essential to building immune systems.
3. How can cats drink cow milk?
Cats and cows may seem like two very different animals, but both have been known to enjoy a good glass of milk. So what happens when you put them together? We spoke to Dr Rita Spector, veterinary surgeon at Vets4Pets in London to find out more.
“Cow’s milk is not harmful for cats by itself,” she informs us, “and it can even be given as a treat from time to time.”
As with most dairy products though, there are some big fat negatives attached to this seemingly innocent gift from the dairy farm:
• The lactose contained in cow’s milk can cause your cat digestive issues such as diarrhoea – particularly if they’re not used to having it. 
4. Is it safe for cats to drink cow milk
No, generally, cows’ milk should not be given to cats or drunk by cats.
5. Are there any risks of drinking cat’s milk or giving them cows’ milk
Cats, like all mammals, are strictly carnivores; they cannot properly digest plant-based foods such as grains and legumes. Milk is not an essential part of their diet. Simply put, it is usually not safe to give cow’s milk (or any other type of milk) to cats. Drinking cow’s milk can be dangerous for many reasons. If you think your cat may enjoy some dairy products, there are plenty of more appropriate options available including coconut milk or nutritional yeast. Unfortunately, although most commercial dairy products contain very low amounts of lactose (the sugar found in milk), some cats do not produce the enzyme lactase which breaks down this sugar meaning that even small amounts can cause them discomfort such as diarrhea and cramps . There are also some rare medical conditions which can prevent cats from digesting lactose, so it is always best to ask your vet before giving cow’s milk to your cat.
6. What are the benefits of drinking cat’s milk or cows’ milks ?
There are absolutely no benefits of drinking the milk of either cats or cows. The same applies to human milk, which is why all major health organizations recommend that babies be fed with breastmilk only for the first six months and continue breastfeeding up to 2 years of age.
The composition of cat’s and cow’s milk (and human milk) is well-adapted to the respective species. Each mother’s milk is specially adapted to her own baby, even if the only difference between them is their sex (major differences are due to inherited genes).
Cats’ and cows’ milk both contain too many proteins that can irritate our digestive system. Also, cats do not drink their own milk.
can my cat drink almond milk?
Cats can drink almond milk, but it is not nutritionally complete. Almond milk has a little protein and calcium, so if you are feeding it to your cat, you will need to add nutrients. Almond milk is a popular alternative for people that are lactose intolerant or who wish to consume fewer dairy products. Cats can drink almond milk if it is plain and has not been sweetened.
Cats cannot taste sweet flavors and do not have the metabolic processes required for processing and digesting simple sugars. They tend to put on weight easily, so they should eat mostly low-calorie foods that will help them maintain a healthy weight.
Cats can drink almond milk if it is unsweetened and unflavored and does not contain carrageenan or guar gum as these thickeners increase the calorie content significantly. If you are not sure of the ingredients in your cat’s almond milk, it is probably best to give him water instead.
cat drinking almond milk via Shutterstock