Cats are famously known for being scared of water, and whether it’s taking a bath or drinking, you won’t find them near water. It is understood that water is the necessity of life. It also keeps the digestive system active and secure from many diseases. Cats who don’t drink much water face many digestive problems, and one of them is constipation. Although many cat owners don’t see this as a significant problem, you must not ignore it at any cost. Cats are usually not constipation prone. If your cat is, then it is essential to take serious care because it might lead to something more severe if not dealt with in time. It can quickly change into a chronic disease which can lead to surgery or other harsh remedies.
Cat owners have to keep a close check on their cats and make sure they eat and drink right. I am Mohammad Waqas, and now I will educate all the cat owners on how to be vigilant in keeping their cats safe from problems like constipation. Maintaining a healthy and balanced diet is very important for the stable life of a cat’s growth. Keep your veterinary doctor updated with every development of your cat and take the advice seriously so that long-lasting life can be ensured. Being an experienced cat owner, I have encountered many questions like where cat owners had no idea how to identify their cat’s constipation and other digestive problems. There are many symptoms through which one can understand the health situations of the cat.
Symptoms of Constipation
Constipation is normal between humans and animals, and it is challenging to spend the day in such conditions. The impact of constipation can be alarming in the long run as enlargement of the colon and constant nausea, which is bad for cats’ health. Foremost, being a cat owner, you must identify the symptoms of constipation in cats. By identifying the signs, you will reach the root cause of constipation in cats and make special remedies to save your pet from further miseries. Following are some of the common symptoms that would help fresh cat owners identify different signs of constipation:
- Less or very often defecating.
- Hard and dry feces
- A small number of dry feces
- No liquid stool with blood
- Cat is not eating much
- The behavior of cats changes
Now, as you have identified the symptoms of constipation in cats, it will be easy for you to evaluate whether the cat has constipation or not quickly. Keeping in mind the dehydration factor, other elements such as eating unauthorized or authentic food or eating something outside that is not healthy might lead to the same problem. So it is highly suggested to keep clicking on such symptoms from time to time to get a proper understanding of the concerns of the cat.
Causes of Constipation
Talking about the causes of constipation, the causes in both humans and animals are the same because its leading causes are dehydration and unhealthy food. Following are some of the preeminent causes of constipation in your cat:
- Dehydration – Drinking less water can cause dehydration which is the chief cause of constipation. Luckily, it does not require any remedy or strict measures; instead, drinking much water in a day can quickly help the cat get rid of constipation caused by dehydration.
- Lack of Exercise – Sitting idly and not exercising can be a dangerous activity that can cause constipation. The movement done by the cat will have a good effect on the digestion of the cat. Activity performed will positively impact the stomach of the cat keeping strong digestion of dry and solid food in time.
- Lack of Protein – Not eating the required amount of protein damages the cat’s health, directly related to the stomach. Eating the right amount of protein is beneficial and can save cats from digestive problems such as constipation.
- Tumours & Nerve Damage – If a cat is having some neurological problems such as tumor and nerve damage will have a direct effect on the eating habits of the cat. This can lead to constipation as the cat with such problems might have a hard time eating the right amount of food that can cause constipation.
- No litter box use – Cats are usually reluctant to use the litter box specifically designed for them. Cats not going out of the house and keeping their feces for a more extended time can increase the chances of constipation. Hence, it is recommended to train your cat on how and when to use the litter box for smooth abdominal functions.
- Arthritis & colon – Tumor and hernia can obstruct the colon, which can be a strong contender in the cause of constipation—eating food from outside sources, which is unhealthy for cats increasing the chances of constipation.
These causes, as mentioned above, can be helpful for many new cat owners, and they can take possible remedies to make sure that their cats are living a healthy life that can enhance their age and growth. Moreover, there are many products available in the market that can help cats fight constipation. Some of these products are identified by me to educate new cat owners further. However, they must not be given to cats if experienced veterinarians do not recommend them.
Top 3 Cat Foods for Constipation
|Product||Name||Buy on Amazon|
|Instinct Grain Free Dry Cat Food - High Protein Cat Food||Check on Amazon|
|Taste of the Wild Dry Cat Food With Real Roasted And Smoked Meat, Fish Or Fowl||Check on Amazon|
|Fussie Cat Premium Grain Free Canned Cat Food 3 Flavor Variety Bundle||Check on Amazon|
Vetrinex Labs Cat and Dog Probiotics with Digestive Enzymes – Best for Diarrhea, Constipation & Vomiting in Pets
Applicable to both cats and dogs, Vetrinex is one of the most diverse cat food that helps cater to many digestive problems. Using this cat food facilitates the stomach of cats that can eradicate constipation. There are many features of this product that are worth mentioning.
Pros & Cons
- One of the chief advantages of Vertrinex is that it helps in solving stomach problems quickly because of the supplements utilized in its process.
- Another advantage of this product is that it is made with fiber which is a good element in making the stomach strong.
- Being a gluten-free product allows cats to remain fit and active, as many gluten-free products make cats sluggish and prone to exercise.
- However, the disadvantage of this product is that it is made with vegetables which many cats do not like.
- Cats might not be eating this food and would later, which will affect the cats’ eating order.
HILL’S PRESCRIPTION DIET Gastrointestinal Biome Digestive/Fiber Care Cat Food
Another cat food made by Hill is one of the most efficient and highly effective cat food in the market because it helps in making the cat’s stomach secure from problems like constipation. Moreover, many features can facilitate cats’ solid and steady growth, and the owners must look closely at this product to better the cats.
Pros & Cons
- Highlighting the advantages of this product, this food is prepared with the help of both soluble and insoluble fibre, which is easy for cats to eat.
- The cat owners can give this food in any blend catering for the likings of the cat.
- Moreover, this food is made with prebiotics which is very helpful in enhancing the digestive abilities of cats.
- It is very economical for cat owners because of its price and might be readily available for buying compared to canned food which is expensive and hard to find.
- However, there are a couple of disadvantages of this food as well. Firstly, the high quantity of carbohydrates in this food might not suit cats with sensitive stomachs.
- Moreover, it only has one feature and taste, which might exhaust the cat from eating only one food for a long time.
CRAVE Grain Free High Protein Dry Cat Food
Another high fiber product is recommended to many cat owners who find out that their cats are facing severe digestive problems like constipation.
Pros and Cons
- The main advantage of this product is that it has the right amount of Salmon, which is excellent for the health of cats.
- Without any grains and by-products, this is a naturally made product that most cat owners are looking for.
- The use of carbohydrates in a balanced amount is highly favorable for cats with frequent constipation problems.
- Talking about the disadvantage of this product, the amount of chicken used in preparing it might be dangerous for some cats, so it is commended to consult the veterinary doctor in advance to avoid further problems.
Iams Proactive Health Adult Dry Cat Food Chicken & Salmon Recipes
Another one on the list is Iams Proactive product, which is an excellent name in making animal food with the right amount of ingredients used can be helpful to many cat owners.
Pros & Cons
- The prude protein utilized to formulate this cat food is highly advantageous for cats with acute stomach problems.
- The main ingredient used is whole food animal and protein, which is the primary evidence of this highly effective product.
- Encumbered with nutrients that are commonly used to strengthen the stomach and heart muscles of the cat
- However, the product is made with a small quantity of corn being added which is wrong for cats’ stomachs.
Purina ONE Sensitive Systems Adult Dry Cat Food
One of the oldest and successful cat food companies is Purina who has provided many such products for cats with different issues, especially sensitive stomachs. Purina ONE Sensitive Systems Adult Dry Cat Food is one such cat food that is great for cats with sensitive stomachs.
Pros & Cons
- One of the unique advantages of this product is that it has always been truthful about its composition. This has increased the trust of cat owners in Purina Company.
- All the ingredients used in the construction of Purina products are imported from the US, which shows how much better they are in transparency.
- Most importantly, the price of this food is highly economical and cat owners friendly, so it is recommended for those owners who are looking for less expensive cat food.
- Highlighting the disadvantages, the ingredients used in making this product are not supported by many veterinary doctors. This includes rice and flour ingredients, gluten, and by-products of chicken, increasing the controversy in this product.
Hence, it is understood that all of these products mentioned above are good for such cats who frequently face constipation and other stomach problems. It is usual for cats to have constipation, yet some experienced veterinary doctor must check it because things might be more complicated when it becomes a norm. The symptoms of constipation are mentioned in this article so that new cat owners can have some pointers on identifying the problem the cat is facing.
New cat owners must look for food enriched with protein and fiber because it will help strengthen the cat’s stomach and other benefits such as muscle and skin fur building. These products described above are full of these ingredients, beneficial for cats of all ages. Prices may vary, yet some are easily affordable and have the same formula as the expensive ones have. Cats might not die from constipation, yet it can lead to severe abdominal damage, which would cause death at a later stage. Taking strong precautionary measures is recommended, and regular consultation with the veterinary doctor is required to keep the cat healthy and active.